Motor Vehicle Liens
How to File a Motor Vehicle Lien:
- Original Kentucky Title or Registration Receipt with the RED “FOR LIEN PURPOSE ONLY” stamp and the raised seal, as well as space to file the lien on the title. See the example below.
- A blank Title Lien Filing Statement (TC 96-187) which can be picked up from our office or by the lien holder
- Payment of $22.00 (20 days past the registration date, you must submit a payment of $24.00)
The Washington County Clerk’s Office strives to process all Title Lien Filing Statements in a timely and efficient manner. The Clerk’s Office staff has 30 days per KRS 186A.195 (3) to process a Title Lien Filing Statement from the day it is received.
The Clerk’s Office does not provide Title Lien Searches.
Lien area of Title
Releasing a Vehicle Lien
To release a lien, the following documents may be mailed, e-mailed or delivered in person:
- Original Kentucky Title
- Completed Release/Termination Statement (TC 96-187) – we are only able to provide this form to the lien holder.
Liens WILL NOT be released under the following conditions:
- Release information is listed on the original lien filing statement
- Missing or Incorrect File Number
- Missing or Incorrect File Date
- Missing Debtor or Security Information
- Missing Vehicle Information
- Missing Signature and/or Date of Secured Party
If you need a copy of a lien release, the following fees will be charged:
- $0.25 per page
- $1.00 (this fee must be received prior to our office sending a fax)
If you request a copy of a lien via mail, please provide the following information:
- Self addressed stamped envelope
- Written request containing the following information: File Number, File Date, Title Number, and Debtor’s name
Mail request to:
Washington County Clerk’s Office
117 N Cross Main St # 1
Springfield, KY 40069