Marriage License Requirements
- Both must be 18 years old or older (if either party is under 18, please see requirements below)
- There is no waiting period, blood test or physical requirement.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
- The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
The “recognition” of a minister can take the form of ordination or license or any other form which expresses clearly the fact that a religious group recognizes the person or looks to the person as a minister of that specific group. Currently, there is not a registration process for a minister to perform ceremonies in Kentucky.
Cash, certified check, cashier’s check, money order, personal check, Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.
Marriage License FAQ’s
Where are marriage licenses issued?
Who issues marriage licenses?
How can we obtain our marriage license?
- Both parties must apply for the license together.
- Identification is required. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, Acceptable forms of ID in accordance with the statue and KCCA’s recorder’s manual include: Drivers’ license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
- Both parties must be 18 years old or older.
- Correct spelling of father’s full name and mother’s full maiden name (first, middle and last)
- There is a $50.00 fee for a marriage license.
We accept cash, checks, Visa, MC and Discover.
Where can I return my marriage license after the ceremony?
Is there a waiting period or blood test requirement?
Do I need to bring my birth certificate?
Do I need to bring my divorce decree?
Do I need to bring my social security card?
Can I get a marriage license in one county in Kentucky and marry in another county in Kentucky?
What do we do after we are married?
- The officiate will return the signed marriage application to the Washington County Clerk’s Office. It will be filed with the County Clerk and a Marriage License will be issued to the couple.
- When changing your maiden name, you will take your marriage license to the Social Security Administration. Information about the Social Security Office located in Florence, KY.
- Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. Information about the Washington County Circuit Clerk’s office.
Need a copy of a marriage license?
Send written notice to:
Washington County Clerk’s Office
117 N Cross Main St Springfield Ky 40069
- Include in the written notice the following information: brides maiden name, grooms name and date of marriage(year) if before June 26, 2020; After June 25, 2020 partner 1 or partner 2 maiden name and date of marriage (year).
- A certified copy is $6.00 by mail.
A certified copy of a marriage license can also be obtained in person at the Washington County Clerk’s Office. The fee to obtain a certified copy of the marriage license in person is $5.